Growing up, the adults in our lives taught us to never be selfish. It was important, they told us, to do for others before we do for ourselves.
The act of selfishness was frowned upon. It is a shameful word that keeps us all from doing what is necessary. The problem with being told to do for others before we do for ourselves is no one clarified what that meant.
No one taught us how to discern between doing what is best for you and doing what is best for others. When you take an airplane flight, the stewardess explains the emergency procedures by directing the passengers to, “Place the mask on your face before you place it on the face of a child or the sick.”
Loving Yourself Is a Necessary Act of Love
Some may think this to be a selfish act, but is it really? It is a great metaphor for taking care of yourself before you try to take care of someone else.
To love yourself, does not mean that you disregard others feelings and needs for your own. It does not mean you never help another human out or sacrifice to save someone else. It means that you do what is best for you so that you can help others later.
It means setting boundaries for your safety. It means that you have respect for yourself and demand that the people around you have the same amount of respect.
Most of all, it means you love yourself enough to put your well being before others. It is simple to start showing yourself more love. Give yourself alone time.
You do not have to do anything major to gain private time for yourself, a bath, a craft or a walk in the park are great ways to give yourself time alone. Learn to say no.
You cannot be everything for everybody. There is no point doing things you do not want to do to please someone else. You will only end up miserable in the end.
Remove unhealthy people from your life. The greatest rule about allowing people in your life is they have to bring value to your life. If there is no value, there is no place for them in your life.
Loving yourself means valuing who you are. This is your number one priority. No one is in charge of your life and how you feel in it but you. Believe in yourself.
You have to take charge of your life and be the architect of your happiness. Loving yourself means you take control and treat yourself better than you treat the people you love the most. Loving yourself is loving others.
The more you love and respect yourself, the more love and respect you will have to give to others.
Self love quotes for the start of a new path
Self-love is a state in which a person feels good about himself for his personal growth; an appreciation based on the care of the actions that provide well-being and a physical and emotional balance. Only through self-appreciation and love can we learn to recognize our worth and, therefore, we will be able to face our problems and insecurities from a calmer perspective and a better sense of inner stability.
Sadly, as a general rule, we tend to show a certain tendency not to value ourselves as much as we should, which is a harmful habit for our health and our life development. However, it is something that is in our hands to change, for example, taking care of our image not so much in a egotistic way but a healthy self-care way, sharing time with our loved ones, doing activities that satisfy us or through reading as inspiring as self-love quotes.
If we learn to love ourselves, our self-esteem will be rewarded thanks to solid emotional stability that will also reflect in our daily difficulties. Sometimes one has to learn to accept one’s weaknesses and take care of our strengths, starting with the reading of these quotes of self-love that we have selected for you to start a new path…
1. Others only love and respect those who love themselves. – Paulo Coelho
2. Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it. – M. Scott Peck
3. Low self-esteem is like driving through life with the parking brake applied. – Maxwell Maltz
4. We all know that self-esteem comes from what you think about yourself, not from what others think of you. – Gloria Gaynor
5. As I began to love myself, I stopped craving a different life, and I could see that everything around me was inviting me to grow. – Charlie Chaplin
6. If we did not love ourselves at all, we could never love anything. So self-love is the basis of all love. – Thomas Traherne
7. The most influential person you will talk to all day is you. Be careful then with what you say to yourself. – Zig Ziglar
8. A man can not be comfortable without his own approval. – Mark Twain
9. Loving yourself is the beginning of an adventure that lasts a lifetime. – Oscar Wilde
10. In reality, it is our decisions that determine what we can become, much more than our own abilities. – J. K. Rowling
11. True self-love does not have to be disclosed or shown in public. It is an inner state, a force, a happiness: security. – Brian Weiss
12. Self-love is not the process of overlooking your flaws. Self-love is to expand your consciousness to include your shortcomings and your strengths. – Vironika Tugaleva
13. Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers. – Veronica A. Shoffstall
14. Self-love is a sign of a high opinion of oneself. If a man has self-love, this shows what it is worth. – George Gurdjieff
15. Wanting to be someone else is to waste the person you are. – Marilyn Monroe
16. You are as incredible as you let yourself be. – Elizabeth Alraune
17. We can not be so desperate for love that we forget where we always find it; in. – Alexandra Elle
18. It took me a long time to learn not to judge myself through the eyes of another. – Sally Field
20. All loves go towards self-love, like rivers to the ocean. – Eleuterio Way
21. If you begin to understand what you are without trying to change it, what you are undergoes a transformation. – Jiddu Krishnamurti
Get Inspired… Get Your FREE Copy Today!
Receive regular tips and updates about personal development starting with this free ebook today.